Stupid Pundit Tricks Spill Over into Tech

June 24, 2014

I have been watching with equal parts amusement and disdain as Congressman Issa’s interrogations have proceeded regarding the IRS’ selections of which 501(c)(4) organizations to scrutinize before granting tax exempt status. The amusing part has been, of course, the dazzlingly inane politicization of the event.  It was discovered that a couple of IRS centers were […]

Read the full article →

Sorting Out the File Junk Drawer Replay Ready

June 24, 2014

At the beginning of the Summer, we rolled ut of the IT-SENSE.org Brown Bag Webinar Series, as those of you who joined us already know. We did three shows in three weeks, working to keep your commitment of time to around 45 minutes and our commitment to delivering useful information at 110%. We have paused […]

Read the full article →

Tarmin: It’s All About the Data

June 16, 2014

At the just concluded IBM Edge 2014 conference in Las Vegas, one of the highlights for me was having a chance to catch up with Linda Thomson, Marketing Director for Tarmin. I knew Linda from her time at QStar Technologies, where she ran worldwide marketing, and I had been hearing positive things about Tarmin’s GridBank technology for a […]

Read the full article →

VSAN in a Nutshell

June 13, 2014

If you agree that shared storage is better than isolated islands of storage, that some sort of virtualized SAN beats the socks off of server-side DAS, that hypervisor and storage hardware agnosticism beats hypervisor or hardware lock-in’s, that aggregated storage capacity AND aggregated storage services make for better resource allocation than service aggregation alone, and […]

Read the full article →

Working on Big Data Storage Research Project

June 13, 2014

To all big brains on Big Data:  this is a synopsis of what I plan to contribute to a forthcoming e-book on Big Data, a chapter on storage infrastructure options.  Am I missing anything important? Since Big Data first captured the imagination of organizations seeking to mine the “treasure trove” of data collected in multiple […]

Read the full article →

DMI Developing Basic Training for the Storage Impaired

June 13, 2014

A shift is occurring on the information technology landscape that has ramifications for how IT operates.  The advent of server virtualization using “hypervisor” software will see, according to leading analysts, the consolidation of between 69 and 75% of x86 workloads onto just 21% of deployed x86 servers by 2016.  The remaining physical servers, some 79%, […]

Read the full article →

IT-SENSE.org Webinars Available Now for On Demand Replay

June 12, 2014

It has been an interesting roll-out of the IT-SENSE.org Brown Bag Webinar Series, as those of you who joined us already know.  We did three shows in three weeks, working to keep your commitment of time to around 45 minutes and our commitment to delivering useful information at 110%. We are pausing these webinars until […]

Read the full article →

Webinar Tomorrow: From Blue Sky to Business Value with Tape Technology

June 11, 2014

This is the part of a technology presentation that never seems to find air time elsewhere:  translating the vision of cost-containment, risk reduction and productivity improvement touted by a technology vendor or evangelist into a workable and sustainable strategy for deployment and operation. Join us tomorrow to learn about how you can avoid the common […]

Read the full article →

Can’t Get Enough of My Hairbrained Views?

June 9, 2014

Here are a couple of other places where you can read my views regularly if you want. I have been writing for Bob Thomas since his magazine was called IBM Mainframe Journal.  Now he calls his magazines Enterprise Systems Management and Enterprise Systems Tech and you can often find columns by me on the last […]

Read the full article →

Thursday Webinar: Tape Archive Tips

June 9, 2014

Join us at Noon Eastern this week for the final IT-SENSE.org Brown Bag Webinar until August.  This week, we are going to go from Blue-Sky to Business Value and provide tips for deploying tape in a manner that realizes all of the cost-savings and high minded data management goals we’ve been talking about in the […]

Read the full article →